Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ponte Tresa, Italy

Today I went to Italy for the first time, why you may ask, well to grocery shop! How many people can say that! Here is a quick overview of one rainy day spent in two countries.

10:00-- Quick stop at the Alprose Swiss Chocolate Factory right before the swiss-italian border to load up on free samples and buy some chocolate bars (8 to be exact!) 

10:30-- Walked from the chocolate factory over to Ponte Tresa, Switzerland where a river divides Switzerland and Italy. Literally walked over a bridge and voile! Italia! We headed straight away to the large farmers market in the piazza to pick up incredibly fresh produce for an incredibly great price! The school cafeteria doesn't feed us any fruits or veggies so I was very happy to pick up some fresh lettuce, nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, plums, apples and grapes for less than 20 Euro! 



11:30-- I also succumbed to my inner sweet tooth and bought 5 of these little cookies! Yes they look like dog treats, but they taste amazing! They are soft, chewy, and full of flavor. I tried bianca, cilliegi, arrancia, limon, zucher, and pistachio! For those of you a little behind on your italian thats: cherry, organe, lemon, and sugar! They were molto bene! My italian is coming along very well I ordered all my fruit in italian and can understand most basic phrases like greetings, numbers, food, etc! 



12:30-- Lunch time! My friend (also named Jessica) and I went to a small cafe and had the best pizza! The italians just know how to do it right! I also ordered a small hot chocolate and what came out was literally hot melted chocolate. I can't rave enough about this meal! 

 

PS this was my take home box for the third of the pizza I didn't eat, I don't know whether to think of it as really creepy or really cute. 



1:45-- It had been dreary and drizzling all day but once we started to walk back towards Switzerland it absolutely started pouring rain! So hauling 20lbs of groceries and a pizza box I sprinted through the cobble stone streets for 20min and finally found refuge under a shelter on the bridge between Switzerland and Italy. Two beautiful countries in one view. Arrivederci Italia! 



No comments:

Post a Comment